For most of us, it is hard to remember a time before cell phones became a thing. With a cell phone store on practically every corner, it’s no wonder that everyone has a cell phone and is accustomed to having technology at their fingertips. While you might be familiar with the functionality of cell phones, here are 16 facts that might surprise you!
- The Nokia 1100 was the best-selling electrical gadget in history, selling more than 250 million phones!
- The first cell phone in 1983 came with a hefty price tag of $4000.
- In 2012, Apple sold more than 340,000 iPhones per day! That equals to roughly 4 phones per second!
- Cell phones have 18 times more bacteria than toilet handles. Yuck!
- In Japan, 90% of cell phones are water-proof.
- The first call made from a mobile phone was placed by Martin Cooper in 1973.
- Present-day cell phones have more computing power than the computer used for Apollo 11 to land on the moon!
- In Britain, more than 100,000 cell phones are droppedin the toilet every year!
- 70% of cell phones are manufactured in China.
- Around 80% of the world’s population has a cell phone.
- More than 90% of adults have their cell phone within arm’s reach at all times.
- There are more cell phones than PCs, at a ratio of 5:1!
- The cell phone industry is the fastest growing industry in the world.
- According to Guinness World Records, Sonim XP3300 Force is recognized as the toughest phone. It survived an 84-Foot drop with no operational damage.
- The iPhone 5 Black Diamond is the most expensive phone in the world, costing $15 million, and taking 9 weeks to build. The phone is made of 135-gram solid gold of 24 carat and the chassis was inlaid with 600 white diamonds.
- Cell phone users spend the majority of their time on games (49%) and social networking (30%).
We hope that you found our list of facts to be interesting! The next time you are playing around on your phone and accidently drop it in the toilet, or decide that it is time for an upgrade, head on over to a cell phone store and pick up a new phone today!